Casino torquay

Casino torquay


Abandoned fire-ravaged Torquay hotel site to be sold

An eyesore hotel site in Torquay is in the process of being sold - seven years after it was badly damaged in a fire. The Bancourt Hotel, in Avenue Road, has been abandoned since a fire in the spring of 2017.

A plan to redevelop the site into a luxury care home for wealthy pensioners failed when property firm Carlauren collapsed in 2019. The company marketed a number of buildings around the country and its demise left investors millions of pounds out of pocket.

The former 52-room Torquay hotel, once a popular wedding and function venue, has become a sad sight in recent years. Decaying signage from the old hotel remains on the building and it is surrounded by wooden hoardings.

But administrators say they are hopeful it will soon have new owners. Jim Haddow at Quantuma said: "The property is in the process of being sold. It's been a particularly complex and challenging sale because of the nature of the scheme put in place by the previous owners."

Try DevonLive Premium for free with no intrusive ads and brilliant new features

The Bancourt Hotel in 2012

In 2018, it was announced that the Bancourt had been bought by the Care Home Group. That company was part of the Carlauren Group whose chief executive, Sean Murray, has since been disqualified from acting as a company director for 10 years.

Quantuma were appointed as administrators to salvage assets. Delays at the Bancourt have been caused by untangling a complex web of Carlauren businesses, particularly the presence of multiple leases on the building linked to the sale of individual rooms to investors.

"We are trying to sell", said Mr Haddow. "All parties are working together and we are hoping to have more news in the next couple of months."

Eighty guests were evacuated after the blaze broke out in a basement bar at midnight in April 2017, many of them delegates from the Young Farmers national conference which was being held at the nearby Riviera International Conference Centre.

Three people sustained minor injuries and police began an arson investigation. However officers were unable to identify a suspect and the investigation ended in 2018.

No intrusive adverts, pop-ups or distractions! Just our brilliant content presented in the best way possible.

Get your free one-month trial by visiting the 'Premium' tab on the DevonLive app now (auto renews annually at £19.99).

If you haven't got it already, get started by downloading our app here on iPhone or here on Android. If you already have the app but can't see the 'Premium' section, you'll need to check for the latest update. More info here.

Story Saved

You can find this story in  My Bookmarks.Or by navigating to the user icon in the top right.